The Institute’s mission is to contribute to the solution of complex and
challenging health policy problems through leadership in:
- health policy and health services research
- education and training
- technical assistance
- public service
We conduct, synthesize, and translate research among multiple academic
disciplines and fields to provide a base of evidence to share with people who make decisions about health and health care.
We focus on providing information about policy decisions that will affect people’s health and lives, from helping to improve clinical decision-making at a patient’s bedside to assessing the potential impact of state and national health legislation.
We help educate and train students, including post-doctoral fellows, in the health professions and other disciplines, for future leadership in health policy and health services research. We also help prepare fellows to take leadership in public health and health care in government at the local, state, federal and international levels, and in the non-profit and private sectors.
Most of all, we are committed to improving the health and health care of people in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area, the State of California, the nation, and the world.
PRL IHPS - Goals
- Improve the health of the public
- Improve health care
- Build future health policy leadership
- Improve the public’s understanding of public sector, private sector, and personal choices about health care and health
- Improve health policy with research designed to impact public and private sector health policy decisions