Naomi Bardach, MD
Dr. Bardach is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at UCSF. Dr. Bardach’s goal is to conduct innovative and policy-relevant research focused on child health, quality measurement and quality improvement. She is a health services researcher and pediatrician and a recipient of the 2015 Nemours Child Health Services Research Award. Her core portfolio is in pediatric quality measurement and variations in care, with additional projects in how those quality measures can be used to incentivize improvements and support patient and family engagement in quality. She is also interested in innovative uses of new technology to support quality measurement and improvement, including gathering robust data streams from patients and families, and garnering meaningful information from unstructured electronic medical records.
1. Duseja R, Bardach NS, Lin GA, Yazdany J, Dean ML, Clay TH, Boscardin WJ, Dudley RA. Revisit rates and associated costs after an emergency department encounter: a multistate analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Jun 2;162(11):750-6.
2. Bardach NS, Hibbard JH, Greaves F, Dudley RA. Sources of traffic and visitors' preferences regarding online public reports of quality: web analytics and online survey results. J Med Internet Res. 2015; 17(5):e102
3. Chen CL, Lin GA, Bardach NS, Clay TH, Boscardin WJ, Gelb AW, Maze M, Gropper MA, Dudley RA. Preoperative medical testing in Medicare patients undergoing cataract surgery. N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 16; 372(16):1530-8.
4. Yazdany J, Marafino BJ, Dean ML, Bardach NS, Duseja R, Ward MM, Dudley RA. Thirty-day hospital readmissions in systemic lupus erythematosus: predictors and hospital- and state-level variation. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014 Oct; 66(10):2828-36.
5. Lee HC, Bardach NS, Maselli JH, Gonzales R. Emergency department visits in the neonatal period in the United States. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2014 May; 30(5):315-8.
6. Marafino BJ, Davies JM, Bardach NS, Dean ML, Dudley RA. N-gram support vector machines for scalable procedure and diagnosis classification, with applications to clinical free text data from the intensive care unit. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014 Sep-Oct; 21(5):871-5.
7. Kaiser SV, Asteria-Penaloza R, Vittinghoff E, Rosenbluth G, Cabana MD, Bardach NS. National patterns of codeine prescriptions for children in the emergency department. Pediatrics. 2014 May; 133(5):e1139-47.
8. Bardach NS, Coker TR, Zima BT, Murphy JM, Knapp P, Richardson LP, Edwall G, Mangione-Smith R. Common and costly hospitalizations for pediatric mental health disorders. Pediatrics. 2014 Apr; 133(4):602-9.
9. Begum R, Smith Ryan M, Winther CH, Wang JJ, Bardach NS, Parsons AH, Shih SC, Dudley RA. Small practices' experience with EHR, quality measurement, and incentives. Am J Manag Care. 2013 Nov; 19(10 Spec No):eSP12-8.
10. Bardach NS, Wang JJ, De Leon SF, Shih SC, Boscardin WJ, Goldman LE, Dudley RA. Effect of pay-for-performance incentives on quality of care in small practices with electronic health records: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2013 Sep 11; 310(10):1051-9
11. Bardach NS, Asteria-Peñaloza R, Boscardin JW, Dudley RA. The relationship between commercial website ratings and traditional hospital performance measures in the USA. BMJ Quality and Safety. 2013 Mar;22 (3):194-202.